The NDP Group today released stats for videogame sales in May, and the top-selling game is and isn’t suprising.
Before the actual list, the NPD Group says that overall videogame retail sales are down 28% over the same month last year. That isn’t exactly an encouraging number, and points to an industry that now faces consumers wanting new consoles but only being presented one such option anytime soon.
Did Sony and Microsoft miscalculate just how long they could wait to release their next systems? It’s certainly possible, as the soonest we’ll now likely see follow-ups to the Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 would be holiday of 2013.
Anyhow, here are the top-selling games for May 2012. Diablo III being in the top spot is pretty interesting—it’s been a while since a PC-only title has held that spot, and that’s not too shabby given that this list only covers physical copies of games.
- Diablo III (PC)
- Max Payne 3 (Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
- Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (Xbox 360, PS3)
- Prototype 2 (Xbox 360, PS3)
- NBA 2K12 (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PS2, PC)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, PC)
- Sniper Elite V2 (Xbox 360, PS3)
- Battlefield 3 (Xbox 360, PS3, PC)
- Dragon’s Dogma (Xbox 360, PS3)
- Just Dance 3 (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii)