Call of Duty: Black Ops 4 is the latest shooter on the chopping block for a poorly received loot box system, prompting some changes to make its newly implemented content more palatable.
Prior to the introduction of reserve crates (loot boxes) as purchasable content, reserve cases were automatically rewarded to players for each Black Market tier past 100. When the crates were introduced as a more conventionally monetized form of loot boxes in the recent Operation Grand Heist update, this method of acquiring cases was removed, which was one of many elements of the system that did not go over well with the playerbase. Cases could still be earned through gameplay, but removing them from the end of the Black Market greatly slowed down the earn rate of content overall.
In response to the fan outcry, developer Treyarch has since restored the feature, allowing players to once again earn cases through the end of the Black Market, although they still only reward one item, compared to three in crates. The change was added in a Friday update and detailed in a post on Reddit.
Effective immediately, Reserve Cases have been added back to the Tiers at the end of the Contraband stream, and players will continue to earn progress toward Cases for gameplay time while progressing through the stream. Daily Tier Skips after 100 Tiers also now work as before, granting a Case for each Tier for players of all modes to ensure the original goal of allowing players to earn Reserves earlier and with more frequency than in previous Operations.
Additionally, the earn rate for Reserve Cases through gameplay has been doubled to ensure players earn Cases faster at all times.
Lastly, if you’ve already progressed beyond Tier 100 during this Operation, you will automatically be awarded with the same number of Reserve Cases that you would have earned for every Tier completed since that point in this Operation. This means no lost Tier-based progress toward Reserves, as your Cases earned after Tier 100 should be waiting for you once you’ve applied this evening’s update.
In addition to the Black Market improvements, other changes in the update include the introduction of the teased Hot Pursuit Blackout mode, support for MKII weapons in Zombies, and more. The full list of patch notes can be found below, live first on PS4. These changes, along with the rest of the Operation Grand Heist update, will drop for Xbox One and PC tomorrow.
- Hot Pursuit
- Hot Pursuit added as the Featured Playlist on PS4.
- 3 new vehicles added: SUV, PBR, and Muscle Car, as well as police variants of the helicopter and ATV.
- New vehicles have special abilities to give players a competitive advantage at the risk of greater exposure.
- Muscle Cars have the ability to spot nearby Supply Stashes and Supply Drops.
- Police vehicles have built-in Sensor Dart functionality when their police sirens are activated, as well as the ability to detect enemy-occupied Muscle Cars.
- Supply Stashes and Supply Drops occur more frequently than normal.
- Players respawn with each circle collapse as long as one teammate is still alive when the next Collapse occurs. Respawns are disabled at the final Collapse.
- Last team standing wins the game.
- Addressed an issue where the “Battle Hardened” Calling Card would lock after Prestiging.
- Progression System Updates
- Reserve Cases earnable at every Tier after 100 in the Contraband stream.
- Daily Tier Skips apply to Tiers after the 100-Tier mark through play in all modes.
- Earn rate increased 2X for Reserve Cases through gameplay time.
- Cases retroactively awarded to players who progressed past Tier 100 before today’s update for every additional Tier completed.
- Players continue to earn Cases at all times in addition to unlocking Contraband Tiers through gameplay time.
- Improved the reticle transition while aiming down sights with the Sparrow.
- Game Modes
- One in the Chamber
- Time limit will now reduce to 60 seconds if only 2 players are left, unless time limit is already under 60 seconds.
- Cleaned up UI elements that aren’t used in One in the Chamber from the HUD.
- Closed exploits on Casino that would allow players to get outside of the map.
World League Hub
- League Play
- Parties will no longer disband after completing League Play matches.
- Additional “MKII” Weapon Support
- Added support for new “MKII” weapons in Zombies (Swat RFT, Daemon 3XB, KAP 45).
- Death-Con Five
- Addressed and issue that could cause players to experience a progression break if they downed themselves in Round 6.
- Featured Playlist
- Close Quarters Frenzy
- Close Quarters Frenzy Quads added as the Featured Playlist on Xbox One and PC.
- Take on enemies using only SMGs, pistols, shotguns, melee attacks, and launchers while fighting to survive an even faster Collapse.
- Last team standing wins.
- Daily Calling Rewards
- Future additional Tier Skips now properly awarded for completing Daily Callings.
- Addressed an issue that prevented players from earning Weapon XP or camo progress after using a Prestige Token to unlock a weapon.
- Various stability fixes.
Source: Reddit r/Blackops4