Whoever spent 400 dollars on the Street Fighter 25th Anniversary Chess Set at the San Diego Comic-Con is going to want to kick themselves. Rather than use up all that valuable convention money right off the bat, they could’ve just pre-ordered the expensive game board from the Capcom Store and gotten it shipped later on this summer.
That’s exactly what everyone who wants to drop $300 on this Capcom Store exclusive set is probably going to do, anyway.
And there’s plenty of them to go around, to boot—while only 10 of them were available at SDCC 2012, there’s a whopping 5000 units in stock right now.
Feel like plunking down the cash for it? Here’s what you can expect for your hard-earned money:
- Highly-detailed silver and pewter-colored resin pieces ranging from 1.75″ to 3.25″ tall
- Each chess piece stores conveniently in a protective custom slot under the chess board when not displayed
- Large 18″x18″ smoked and sandblasted glass game board
- High-quality black wood storage case with polished chrome latch and hinges and a large Street Fighter® 25th Anniversary logo laser-etched into the lid
- Storage case doubles as playing surface with the glass board’s feet nesting safely in small holes in the case lid
That’s a pretty impressive lineup, but for $400, there’s still stuff to nitpick over. Let’s take the chess pieces themselves, for example.
In total, the different sets are represented by Ryu and M. Bison (Kings); Chun-Li and Juri (Queens); with Ken, Guile, Balrog, and Vega (Bishops); E. Honda, Blanka, Rolento, and Akuma (Knights); Dhalsim, Zangief, Sagat, and Seth (Rooks). Call me crazy, but the ordering in all that just seems off.
Seriously, Rolento’s on the board, but not Cammy? And I don’t think you can lower Seth to the rank of a Rook, nor Akuma to a Knight—that just seems a little bit beneath their characters. Oh, well. At least all 12 of the original World Warriors are present.
Source: Capcom Store