Epic Games made a number of changes to audio in last week’s 8.0 update for Fortnite, but the developer is not done yet. In a Reddit post, a member of the Battle Royale audio team went over several adjustments that will be made to the game’s audio soon.
First up, the ridiculously loud assault rifle sound is being “tightened up” to be “more of a BLaaam versus a BLAAAM.” In addition, the sound of a building piece being destroyed is being made louder when an enemy destroys it.
The developer is also working on clearing up footstep audio by blending audio when players move between above and below to avoid confusion from it abruptly switching, and fixing an issue that caused footsteps to still be muffled when enemies have line-of-sight.
Finally, the volume of Season 8 victory umbrella is being reduced following complaints. However, it’s noted that “this only affects the umbrella open/close layers” and not the steel drum that plays. Read the full list of changes below:
- Improvement to the standard AR sound so that it’s not overbearing on the shooter.
- Tightened up the sound, so it’s more of a BLaaam versus a BLAAAM.
- Building Piece destroy sound is louder when instigated by enemies.
- Helps mitigate scenarios where “that guy Hand Cannon’d a wall behind me and I didn’t hear it”.
- Footstep audio blends in the above/below layers, rather than abruptly switching between them.
- Prevents jarring footstep transitions between floors directly above or below. Should clear up some confusion.
- Footstep occlusion traces from the heads of enemies when they’re above or below.
- This helps mitigate scenarios where an enemy has line-of-sight on you but their footsteps still sound muffled/occluded.
- Reduce volume of the S8 palm tree umbrella.
- This only affects the umbrella open/close layers. Don’t worry, the steel drum riff volume is preserved. 🙂
Earlier today, Epic released a teaser for this week’s Fortnite update, which revealed that a new item called Buried Treasure will be added.