X
X
Fortnite


 

Developer Epic Games is giving back to the creators who use Unreal Engine, thanks to the overwhelming success of Fortnite Battle Royale.

Epic recently announced (via PC Gamer) that creators who sell assets on Unreal Engine Marketplace will now get a much larger piece of the pie. Traditionally, creators who sell assets through the Marketplace kept 70 percent of the sales, while Epic kept 30 percent. Now, Marketplace creators will keep 88 percent of their sales, leaving just 12 percent for Epic. Not only that, but Epic is retroactively reimbursing creators based on these new percentages, affecting all sales since the Marketplace’s 2014 launch, meaning some creators could see a huge boost to their bank accounts.

“Thanks to both the Marketplace’s growth and the success of Fortnite, Epic now conducts a huge volume of digital commerce,” Epic founder and CEO Tim Sweeney said in a statement. “The resulting economies of scale enable us to pass the savings along to the Unreal Engine Marketplace community, while also making a healthy profit for Epic.”

It’s no surprise that Fortnite is doing well. It reportedly earned $300 million in May 2018 alone. Epic hasn’t been shy about how much money it’s making, either: it launched its Fortnite esports efforts with a $100 million prize pool, most recently announcing the $8 million Summer Skirmish series. Taking these huge profits and passing them along, if indirectly, to Unreal Engine creators is a nice gesture from Epic and a smart investment in the engine’s future, too.

Speaking of, this user-friendly increase in Unreal Engine Marketplace revenue splits isn’t just thanks to Fortnite‘s financial success. Unreal Engine Marketplace was seeing a massive increase in users even before Epic announced this new policy. The first half of 2018 showed a 30 percent growth in active sellers, with 1 million users downloading Unreal Engine 4 between March 2018 and July 2018.

Fortnite Battle Royale recently launched update 5.0, making changes to the map, adding a new vehicle, and giving players some new toys.

Fortnite is available on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, PC, and mobile.

0   POINTS
0   POINTS


About Michael Goroff

view all posts

Michael Goroff has been gaming for almost three decades. He's a lover of all games and systems, but he mostly plays Xbox. That being said, if he's a fanboy, he's a fanboy for the game industry as a whole. Spit white-hot fanboy hate at him, trash talk his Gold II rank on Rocket League, or maybe just send him a cordial hello on Twitter @gogogoroff.

Fortnite’s success will make all Unreal Engine creators richer

Epic Games is stealing from the rich (i.e., itself) and giving back to Unreal Engine Marketplace sellers.

By Michael Goroff | 07/13/2018 01:30 PM PT

News

Developer Epic Games is giving back to the creators who use Unreal Engine, thanks to the overwhelming success of Fortnite Battle Royale.

Epic recently announced (via PC Gamer) that creators who sell assets on Unreal Engine Marketplace will now get a much larger piece of the pie. Traditionally, creators who sell assets through the Marketplace kept 70 percent of the sales, while Epic kept 30 percent. Now, Marketplace creators will keep 88 percent of their sales, leaving just 12 percent for Epic. Not only that, but Epic is retroactively reimbursing creators based on these new percentages, affecting all sales since the Marketplace’s 2014 launch, meaning some creators could see a huge boost to their bank accounts.

“Thanks to both the Marketplace’s growth and the success of Fortnite, Epic now conducts a huge volume of digital commerce,” Epic founder and CEO Tim Sweeney said in a statement. “The resulting economies of scale enable us to pass the savings along to the Unreal Engine Marketplace community, while also making a healthy profit for Epic.”

It’s no surprise that Fortnite is doing well. It reportedly earned $300 million in May 2018 alone. Epic hasn’t been shy about how much money it’s making, either: it launched its Fortnite esports efforts with a $100 million prize pool, most recently announcing the $8 million Summer Skirmish series. Taking these huge profits and passing them along, if indirectly, to Unreal Engine creators is a nice gesture from Epic and a smart investment in the engine’s future, too.

Speaking of, this user-friendly increase in Unreal Engine Marketplace revenue splits isn’t just thanks to Fortnite‘s financial success. Unreal Engine Marketplace was seeing a massive increase in users even before Epic announced this new policy. The first half of 2018 showed a 30 percent growth in active sellers, with 1 million users downloading Unreal Engine 4 between March 2018 and July 2018.

Fortnite Battle Royale recently launched update 5.0, making changes to the map, adding a new vehicle, and giving players some new toys.

Fortnite is available on Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Nintendo Switch, PC, and mobile.

0   POINTS
0   POINTS



About Michael Goroff

view all posts

Michael Goroff has been gaming for almost three decades. He's a lover of all games and systems, but he mostly plays Xbox. That being said, if he's a fanboy, he's a fanboy for the game industry as a whole. Spit white-hot fanboy hate at him, trash talk his Gold II rank on Rocket League, or maybe just send him a cordial hello on Twitter @gogogoroff.