Posted on February 17, 2012 AT 06:14am
Forces of Nature adds three new maps, all themed around natural disasters, along with two remakes from previous Gears of War maps. The new maps are Aftermath, Artillery and Cover. The remakes are of Jacinto, from Gears of War 2 and Raven Down from Gears of War. The DLC is set to release March 27, however no price has been revealed yet. A description of each map can be found below:
- Aftermath: A government park after a tsunami. There is seaweed and wreckage everywhere, and the main play space sits under a huge cargo ship which was deposited on top of a building during the storm. The area floods and quakes during gameplay, as the whole thing is teetering on the edge of falling into the water below. This has gameplay implications as it is difficult to aim during the quakes, and difficult to be stealthy while splashing through the water.
- Artillery : Starts out looking like an ordinary military base, but during gameplay a storm kicks up. Lightning begins to flash on the horizon and eventually a tornado develops and sweeps near the play space. Dust and debris are kicked up making it difficult to see, and the buffeting winds can mask your approach.
- Cove: A is a small port that the Stranded have taken over and turned into a little village. The map is very open with long lines of sight, but there is a really, really heavy layer of fog that masks just about everything. There’s a really nice sniper nest inside a central ship, but the sniper’s form is silhouetted by the low angle light shining through the fog.
- Jacinto: It was a beautiful city, but huge stalks have popped up through the buildings and flooded the entire area with Imulsion. Half of the map is dead and crumbling, with Imulsion fumes hanging in the air. To make matters worse, the drizzle that is present when a match begins quickly develops into a heavy rain storm that impedes visibility and lines of sight as water starts sheeting off the buildings.
- Raven Down: A very small crossroads that is blanketed in a blinding snow storm. A Raven helicopter has crashed in the storm, and crashed through an elevated train on its way down, so there’s train wreckage to deal with as well. The snowstorm ebbs occasionally, but is more often so heavy that it’s difficult to see more than a few meters ahead at any given time.
The DLC will also include four Easter Eggs in the shape of Elemental Cleaver weapons. The Snow Cleaver can deliver an icy blast stunning opponents and the Emulsion Cleaver’s rounds explode upon impact and inflicts burn damage. Four new character models – Commando Dom, Mechanic Baird, Savage Grenadier Elite and Savage Hunter — and seven new weapon skins are also included.
Finally the DLC will add 10 new achievements to the game for 250 Gamerscore, four of which will be to get 25 kills with each of the Cleavers in Horde mode.
EGM’s TAKE: This signals the end of the Gears of War 3 season pass DLC, so what will Epic offer next? A chance to renew or will it just be single DLC from now on? The three new maps sounds like a lot of fun especially with the natural disasters that will sweep through, adding an extra element in multiplayer. The four new Cleavers seem to be the weapon you need to get hold of their stuns could change the game in your teams favor if used wisely. The updated Jacinto sounds immense, we found the map boring in Gears of War 2 but the new Imulsion covered wasteland and heavy rain may make this a more tactical map.
What do you think of the new maps? Let us know in the comments below.
Today's Top 10 Stories
Top Partner Stories
Website Interface © 2012 EGM Digital Media, LLC.