Posted on October 9, 2013 AT 06:11am
Grand Theft Auto V has picked up seven Guinness World Records including the fastest entertainment property to gross $1 billion and the best-selling video game in 24 hours. The game has broken records previously held by Call of Duty: Black Ops, Avatar, and The Avengers.
“GTA totally deserves to be recognized as an icon of modern British culture, and we’re thrilled to be able to feature the game in the record books,” said Guinness World Records editor-in-chief, Craig Glenday. “Gaming is no longer a niche hobby, as GTA 5 has proved, and how exciting that it’s taken on the might of Hollywood and won! I’m also doubly proud as a Dundonian to welcome this home-grown series back into the Guinness World Records book.”
The game’s seven records are:
- Best-selling action-adventure video game in 24 hours
- Best-selling video game in 24 hours
- Fastest entertainment property to gross $1 billion
- Fastest video game to gross $1 billion
- Highest grossing video game in 24 hours
- Highest revenue generated by an entertainment product in 24 hours
- Most viewed trailer for an action-adventure video game
Today's Top 10 Stories
Top Partner Stories
Website Interface © 2012 EGM Digital Media, LLC.