Infinity Ward has offered up details regarding Call of Duty: Ghosts‘ perk system. The game will include a total of 35 perks, each with a point total between one and five, the developer explained.
A loadout will consist of eight points to spend on perks. However, this number can be increased to 12 by removing your primary weapon, secondary weapon, lethal, and tactical slots–you’ll spawn with only a knife. Each perk has an unlock level and a Squad Point cost. Once a player reaches the required level the perk will be unlocked, but players can choose to unlock it early by spending the required amount of Squad Points.
Each perk belongs to one of seven categories: Speed, Handling, Stealth, Awareness, Resistance, Equipment, and Elite. You can find an official description of each category below:
- Speed: Outrun and outmaneuver enemy players. Speed Perks are all about getting the lead and staying ahead. Examples include Sleight of Hand (Faster reloading) and Stalker (Move faster while aiming).
- Handling: Dexterity and control drives the Handling Perks, improving actions and accuracy. Examples include On the Go (Reload while sprinting) and Steady Aim (Increased hip fire accuracy).
- Stealth: Stealth Perks aid you in staying out of sight, maintaining a low profile and engaging on your terms. Examples include Takedown (Kill enemies without revealing their death locations) and Incog (Resistant to targeting systems including Recon, Thermal Scope, Tracker Sight and Motion Sensor. No name or red crosshairs when targeted).
- Awareness: Keep in tune with your surroundings. Awareness Perks help you survey the environment and detect enemy players. Examples include SitRep (Detect enemy explosives and tactical equipment) and Wiretap (Utilize all active enemy and friendly SAT COMs on the field).
- Resistance: A hardened endurance reduces the effects of fatigue. Resistance Perks keep you going through tough engagements. Examples include Focus (Reduced weapon sway when aiming down sights and reduced flinch when hit) and Blast Shield (Increased resistance to explosive damage).
- Equipment: Tacticians swear by their gear, and Equipment Perks ensure you have the best tools on hand. Examples include Extra Tactical (Additional Tactical equipment) and Extra Attachment (Extra attachment for your weapons).
- Elite: Elite Perks offer special abilities that affect your loadouts in a variety of ways. Examples include Gambler (Spawn with a random Perk) and Ping (Activate a sonar ping upon killing an enemy, revealing nearby hostiles).