While most of the details for Overwatch‘s Season 2 update were revealed in the latest developer video, the official patch notes now provide a comprehensive breakdown of all changes coming to the game.
Many aspects of Overwatch will see adjustments when the update drops, but likely the most significant change is coming to the ranking system for the game’s Competitive Play mode. The previous ranking scale placed players between 1-100, but the new system jacks it up immensely with a scale of 1-5,000. With this new rank quantity comes tiers which players can upgrade to by moving up in rank. There are many subtle facets to this ranking system adjustment that players will want to digest in full on the official update posting.
The update also includes rebalancing for a variety of hero characters. A whopping nine heroes are being readjusted, with Mercy and Mei seeing some buffs and McCree and D.Va being knocked down a notch. Possibly most noteworthy, however, is the host of nerfs coming to the offensive hero Genji, who has long been a point of controversy within the player base.
All Overwatch map, mode, and character changes can be tested out in the game’s Public Test Region on PC. There is currently no date for when the update will officially launch on each platform.
- Defense Matrix
- After being activated, Defense Matrix will begin regenerating following a 1-second delay (formerly .5 seconds)
- Hanzo will now experience a 30% decrease in speed while aiming (formerly 40%)
- Maximum projectile speed has been increased by 30%
- The Blizzard projectile now pierces barriers
- Radius has been increased from 8 meters to 10 meters
- Now drains over a .25-second period (instead of displaying a 50% reduction on the ultimate meter when activated and 0% when confirmed)
- Caduceus Staff
- Healing Beam
- Healing-per-second has been increased by 20%
- Resurrected allies will be able to maneuver after 2.25 seconds (reduced from 3 seconds)
- Double jump no longer resets when wall climbing
- No longer deals damage to traps like Widowmaker’s Venom Mine or Junkrat’s Steel Trap
- No longer bypasses Junkrat’s Steel Trap
- Swift Strike
- No longer interrupts quick melee attacks
- Duration of Genji’s ultimate has been reduced from 8 seconds to 6 seconds
- Amp It Up
- The boosting of movement speed has been decreased by 30% (from a 100% increase to a 70% increase)
- Chain Hook
- If the hooked target isn’t in Roadhog’s line of sight when retracting the hook, they will be moved back to the position where they were originally hooked
- Orb of Discord
- The amount of damage amplified by a target with Orb of Discord has been decreased from 50% to 30%
- Orb of Destruction
- Damage has been increased from 40 to 46
Source: Overwatch Patch Notes