The latest NPD sales numbers brought some good news and bad news for Microsoft. The good news? Respawn Entertainment’s Xbox One exclusive Titanfall was the best-selling game on any platform, managing to hold off certified million-seller inFAMOUS: Second Son. The bad news? That wasn’t enough for the One to overtake the PlayStation 4 in hardware sales.
Despite what must be a disappointment, Microsoft did their best to put a positive spin on things, noting that the Xbox One has sold over 60 percent more than the 360 at the same point in its life cycle. They also announced that the system has now sold more than 5 million units to retailers. That might sound like they’re not too far behind the PlayStation 4’s 7 million sold, but it’s important to note that Sony’s figures are based on how many consoles have been bought by consumers, not retailers. That means Microsoft’s counting whatever Xbox One units may be sitting around on store shelves or in warehouses unsold, and there’s no way for us to know how significant a quantity that might be.
Some of the less dramatic news from the report includes a strong showing from South Park: The Stick of Truth and Dark Souls II. Here’s the full list of the top 10 games for the month:
- Titanfall (XBO, PC)
- inFAMOUS: Second Son (PS4)
- South Park: The Stick of Truth (360, PS3, PC)
- Call Of Duty: Ghosts (360, PS3, XBO, PS4, Wii U, PC)
- Dark Souls II (PS3, 360)
- Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS4, XBO, PS3, 360)
- NBA 2K14 (PS4, 360, XBO, PS3, PC)
- Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (PS3, Vita)
- The LEGO Movie Videogame (360, PS3, 3DS, Wii U, XBO, PS4, Vita)
- Minecraft (360)