THE BUZZ: Microsoft has revealed its worldwide launch plans for the midnight release of Gears of War 3, on September 20th.
The company is going all-out to promote the launch of its biggest exclusive title this holiday, with events happening worldwide, the biggest being at the Best Buy Theater which will be aired live on SpikeTV.
“In the U.S., launch celebrations will kick off in New York City at a marquee event at the Best Buy Theater in Times Square, to be broadcast live during a special episode of GameTrailers TV featuring special guest Aisha Tyler, and airing from 11:30 p.m. – 12:01 a.m. local U.S. time on Spike TV.”
More than 20,000 retail stores worldwide, including 13 Microsoft Stores, will open at midnight to mark the launch of the title, the full schedule is as follows:
- New York: Best Buy Theater, 1515 Broadway (at 44th St.), New York, NY 10036
Date & Time: Monday, Sept. 19, 8 p.m. to 1 a.m. EDT
- Los Angeles: Westfield Century City
- Giveaways to the first 100 people in line
- Bellevue, WA: Bellevue Square Mall
Special appearance by Microsoft Studios Corporate Vice President Phil Spencer
Giveaways to the first 100 people in line
Marcus Fenix statue available for photo opportunities
- Additional locations: Scottsdale, AZ; San Diego, CA; Oak Brook, IL; Costa Mesa, CA; Santa Clara, CA; Lone Tree, CO; Houston, TX; Mission Viejo, CA; Atlanta, GA
- GAME Flagship launch at Oxford Street, London
o Giveaways throughout the evening.
- Over 400 GAME and gamestation stores nationwide
- Blockbuster, Gamers, and Gameplanet will host launch events at over 60 locations in Mexico.
- Toronto, Bay and Dundas / 65 Dundas Street West, Toronto, ON, M5G 2C3
- Vancouver, Cambie / Cambie Street, Vancouver, BC, V5Z 2T7
Beginning at 9:00 p.m.:
Horde Mode gameplay experience
“Gears of War 3” swag giveaways
LG Partnership with 3D gaming
Green Screen: take your picture in a “Gears of War 3” scene
- Other Canada locations:
- 94 EB Games/GameStop stores
- 20 Best Buy locations
- 60 Future Shop
- Funan Digitalife Mall – 8pm to 12 midnight.
“Gears of War” survivor kit for all Limited Edition game and console pre-order customers; giveaways, demos, and appearances by the Women of Gears.
- EB Games
EB Games will host midnight launch events at 73 locations across Australia, including their launch headquarters at MacArthur Square Mall
EGM’s TAKE: Microsoft is really pushing Gears 3 (not that they really have to), so let’s hope the game lives up to expectations.