Posted on November 14, 2013 AT 10:58am
In the latest installment of “Iwata Asks,” Nintendo’s Shigeru Miyamoto says that another Super Mario Galaxy game isn’t necessarily off the table, despite the direction the team took with Super Mario 3D World.
“Just so there is no misunderstanding, I should point out that this doesn’t mean we’ll never make another Super Mario Galaxy game,” Miyamoto said. “The same team can’t make both at the same time. And we can’t bring in a second party and slap the name Super Mario Galaxy on it. I suppose we could idealistically make both in Tokyo, but we want to do something new too, so there was that dilemma.”
According to both Miyamoto and producer Yohiaki Koizumi, Super Mario 3D World represents the culmination of the best parts of Mario games up to to this point, as well as an answer to things the team felt were absent from prior entries.
“Another regret with respect to Super Mario Galaxy. I think the deep-blue image of space and the impression you get from the title was more geared toward boys,” Koizumi said. “I felt like a player-character you might want to choose besides Mario was necessary to convince, say, my wife to feel comfortable picking it up and playing. This time, we welcomed in Princess Peach, so you can play as a female character. In that way, I feel like we filled in a piece that had been missing.”
Nintendo recently revealed that a fifth playable character, and another female character, is unlockable within Super Mario 3D World: Rosalina of Super Mario Galaxy fame.
Super Mario 3D World launches exclusively for Wii U November 22 in North America, November 29 in Europe.
Source: Iwata Asks
Today's Top 10 Stories
Top Partner Stories
Website Interface © 2012 EGM Digital Media, LLC.