Posted on September 2, 2011 AT 12:00am
THE BUZZ: Japanese gaming website, Degenki, posted an interview with Hidetaka Miyazaki of From Software in which he reveals a few new gameplay details for Dark Souls.
WHAT WE KNOW: In the interview he touched on subjects including, areas, status effects, weapons, humanity, invasions and magic spells. You can check out the details below.
- There are over 20 areas in the game (areas that display a name when you enter them)
- There are areas that have no impact on the main story (bonus areas.) In one of these areas, there is a secret covenant that can only be obtained at this particular location (director Miyazaki’s favorite covenant)
- There are 3 status effects: bleed, poison, and curse. Curse in particular is a very nasty status effect
- You cannot reverse the status points allocated to your character
- You can add elemental effects to weapons through forging
- There is a new weapon category called “giant bow,” which is a bow that is as big as the player and fires projectiles the size of spears
- Humanity can be obtained from items, humans or enemies who used to be human
- Humanity affects item drop rate, resistance to curse and affects some spells and weapons
- Only players with humanity can summon phantoms to help them
- In Co-Op, players who successfully aided a host are rewarded with humanity. In addition, players may be awarded additional benefits based on what covenant they have
Invasions can occur for three different reasons:
- To steal another players humanity
- To steal a valuable item away from another player
- To punish a player for betraying something
- The total of sorceries, pyromancies, and miracles is over 60
- Director Miyazaki recommends two miracles to players: the “force” miracle and the “requesting aid” miracle. The “requesting aid” miracle allows the player to see a bunch of messages from other players
EGM’s TAKE: Dark Souls is shaping up to be an excellent successor to Demon Souls and the invasions mechanic could really add some extra difficulty to an already complex game.
Today's Top 10 Stories
Website Interface © 2012 EGM Digital Media, LLC.