From the official Battleblog comes some added details on weapon customization as it’ll be in Battlefield 3. Here’s what we know:
* Each main weapon will have three accessory slots, where unlocked accessories can be attached.
* Weapon accessory unlocks are received on a “per weapon basis”. Thus, the more you use a particular weapon, the more you’ll be able to customize it.
* Pictured above is a carbine that has been equipped with a barrel, bipod, and a 4X magnification combat scope. The Battleblog notes that this setup would be good for medium to long range combat, and for laying down suppressive fire to support teammates.
* Next, here is the same carbine, but now equipped with a suppressor, foregrip, and quick acquisition holographic scope. This setup would be better for close quarters battle.
* Unlockable weapon accessories include an assortment of optics, suppressors, bipods, barrels, underslung grenade launchers, underslung shotguns, foregrips, flashlights, laser sights, and more.
* While the class and model of your weapon will determine a number of basic values (like muzzle speed, energy, and fire rate), you can always modify it to tweak it towards anything from long range to close quarters combat.