A new batch of details regarding the recently announced Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII have been revealed.
The details come courtesy of Japanese magazine Famitsu, via Andriasang. The game was announced during the Final Fantasy 25th Anniversary Event and will be the last entry in the Lightning saga. Lightning Returns tells the story of the world’s final 13 days before a doomsday clock counts down to zero and destroys everything. The details can be found below:
- The game is currently 30% complete
- This will be Lightning’s last game and will end with a happy ending. The game has just one ending.
- The first FFXIII was story driven, meaning that the story pulled the player along. FFXIII-2 was player driven, meaning players selected the story. Lightning Returns is World Driven, meaning players have to consider how they interact with the changing world.
- The game’s in-game time works out to one day being the equivalent of one to two hours of real time. There will be increases and decreases in time.
- The game is meant to be played and cleared multiple times. The volume is not such that it will take many tens of hours to clear once.
- People from XIII-2 haven’t died. Because of the effects of the chaos (I’m not sure if this is the proper English word), people have stopped aging and don’t get old.
- The Novus world has four continents, two natural and two city-type.
- Depending on your actions, the remaining life of the world could decrease, and the game could end before the 13 day limit.
- There are some times when helping someone will decrease the life of the world.
- Defeating some enemies and clearing some quests will increase the life of the world.
- Lightning is all by herself in battle, allowing you to concentrate more than when you had to control a party.
- Lightning has become a considerably more refined person.
- You can freely move around during battle. Some elements of the battle system are timing-based.
- The battle system is close to action. There’s an ATB gauge.
- During battle, you don’t select menu commands. Instead, you select abilities which have been assigned to buttons.
- Hope will give guidance to Lightning via wireless com.
- The city has clocks everywhere showing the constant progression of time.
What do you think of the game? Should Square have made a third title? Let us know in the comments below.