Update: Overwatch game director Jeff Kaplan sheds some additional light on Brigitte in a new Developer Update video.
Origin Story: Overwatch‘s newly announced 27th hero brings some durability and defense to the game’s selection of support heroes.
The new hero, as teased in recent story updates, is named Brigitte Lindholm, daughter of Defense hero Torbjorn. Fans first met Brigitte in Reinhardt’s animated short, questioning his choice to answer the call from Overwatch. Ironically, she has now answered the call herself, and while she doesn’t have an animated short of her own just yet, we are exposed to her origin story through a brief vignette of still images.
Introducing Brigitte—an engineer turned valiant squire ready to protect her allies on the front line.
— Overwatch (@PlayOverwatch) February 28, 2018
Brigitte is the game’s first tank-healer hybrid, using a variety of protective tools to fortify her team’s back-line and keep enemy offenses at bay. Brigitte’s full suite of tools are as follows:
- Rocket Flail (Primary Attack)- This melee weapon has limited range, but a wide hit-box, allowing the hero to hit multiple targets in front of her. Doing damage to enemies with the weapon provides healing for herself and teammates in an area around her.
- Whip Shot (Alternate Attack)- Her Rocket Flail can be extended in front of her for a long-range hit, damaging, stunning, and knocking back enemies.
- Repair Pack (Ability One)- Throwing out Repair Packs heal whatever teammate that is targeted. Any healing that would go over the player’s health threshold is turned into armor.
- Barrier Shield (Ability Two)- Reminiscent of Reinhardt’s Barrier Field, this small shield absorbs a limited amount of damage, protecting Brigitte and anyone directly behind her.
- Shield Bash (Alternate Ability)- With the Barrier Shield deployed, Brigitte can dash forward for a stunning slam on an enemy.
- Rally (Ultimate Ability)- Upon activation, Brigitte’s speed increases, and all nearby allies gain armor until it is removed by damage.
The character was called “meta-changing” by game director Jeff Kaplan earlier this year, and now fans see why. The game’s current meta—the most popular team compositions used at the highest tier of competitive play—has been largely focused on dive compositions for a long time. Dive compositions sacrifice sustainability for a team of high-mobility, high-damage heroes that can overwhelm an enemy team before they can respond. Brigitte seems uniquely built to work against this strategy. On top of her various ways to heal and defend her team from aggressive threats, her Whip Shot and Shield Bash specifically are ideal for stunning and knocking back advancing enemies, staggering the offensive push.
Brigitte is currently live on Overwatch‘s public test region, and is expected to launch for the full game in the next week or two. In the meantime, players can enjoy a variety of hero rebalances that recently launched for the game, making a number of less popular heroes a little more viable.
Source: Play Overwatch