Posted on January 6, 2014 AT 05:07am
Square Enix Montreal’s next-gen Hitman title has been canceled, according to the LinkedIn profile of senior game designer Richard Knight.
Videogamer spotted an update to Knight’s profile, which states that the title was formally canceled last year. “Senior Designer – Hitman Project (Next-Gen Consoles/Current Gen/PC) – Cancelled,” his profile reads.
Little is known about the title that was first announced back in 2011, but the LinkedIn profile of senior game designer Heath Smith states that it would have been another “re-imagining” of the series, featuring both this and first-person combat. The profile of network engineer Anthony Pressacco also reveals that the game would have supported microtransactions and online leaderboards.
Square Enix Montreal is currently working on an “unannounced Hitman game” for iOS and Android, according to Pressacco’s profile.
However, this doesn’t mean that there won’t be a next-gen Hitman title as main franchise developer IO Interactive is currently working “on a new AAA Hitman project.”
EGM has contacted Square Enix for comment.
Update: A representative from Square Enix has told EGM that IO Interactive is currently working on a new AAA Hitman game, which is coming to PC and next-gen consoles, while Square Enix Montreal is fully focused on mobile development.
“Io-Interactive is developing a new, AAA Hitman game that will be coming to PC and next-gen consoles and Square Enix Montreal is fully focused on mobile development of games some of which are related to the Hitman franchise,” the representative said. “We look forward to sharing more details about these titles later this year.”
Today's Top 10 Stories
Top Partner Stories
Website Interface © 2012 EGM Digital Media, LLC.