UPDATE: Ubisoft has officially stated that the list is inaccurate, in a statement to Eurogamer the publisher said: “We’re thrilled and kind of amused to see this line-up news. It shows that players are anxious to hear about Ubisoft’s upcoming releases. This reported line-up is inaccurate. We guarantee you that you’ll hear directly from us soon about the amazing variety of games Ubisoft has slated for fiscal year 2012-13.”
THE BUZZ: Ubisoft is set to release Assassin’s Creed 3 and Splinter Cell: Retribution this year, according to an unverified release schedule.
The schedule was posted by Gameranx and lists the third major Assassin’s Creed title and new Splinter Cell among other, already confirmed, titles such as Far Cry 3 and Brothers in Arms: Furious 4. The list is below:
- Brothers in Arms: Furious 4 (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows)
- Far Cry 3 (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows)
- I Am Alive (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360)
- Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, Microsoft Windows)
- Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Online (Microsoft Windows, Wii U)
- Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell: Retribution (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Microsoft Windows)
- Prince of Persia (Wii, 3DS)
- Assassin’s Creed 3 (PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii U, Microsoft Windows)
- Just Dance Final Party (Wii, Xbox 360, Playstation Move)
EGM’s TAKE: Now let’s take a closer look at what’s on this list. We already know that Ubisoft plans on releasing a new game in the Assassin’s Creed franchise this year and based on previous road maps laid out by the publisher after Ezio’s story concluded in Revelations, a new assassin would take over to begin the third major arc in the franchise, which would obviously be in Assassin’s Creed 3. It was also mentioned that Desmond’s story would come to an end in the third major Assassin’s Creed game and it would take place before the game’s Doomsday date in 2012, so it must release this year. A Wii U version of the game is also listed alongside the usual platforms, indicating this was the title teased at the E3 console unveil last year.
This is the first time we’ve heard any mention of Splinter Cell: Retribution, but it was revealed last year that Ubisoft Toronto has been hard at work on a new Splinter Cell game so maybe we’ll be seeing an E3 reveal of what they’ve been working on. Finally there’s mention of a mysterious Prince of Persia title for 3DS and Wii. Is this a brand new title or the port that was released as a download last month?
If this list is correct then Ubisoft is looking at it’s biggest year yet, with four of its major franchises all getting new games, we’re certainly looking forward to what it has to offer.
Does the list look legit to you? Leave your thoughts below.