Posted on May 22, 2012 AT 05:00pm
Sony Online Entertainment has announced their new free-to-play first-person shooter known as Bullet Run.
The game puts players – known as ‘contestants’ – into the ultimate reality TV game show, where they must showcase their deadly talents to earn fame. The name of the show is Bullet Run, and simply killing your opponents won’t be good enough. Style and attitude plays a major part in successful kills—and the more impressive the kill, the more fame you earn. Fame is used to purchase a number of customization options to make your character look unique in front of the cameras.
“Through a revolutionary ‘Synth’ technology, these reality stars will die, re-incarnate into a new body, and jump right back into the action until the match is complete. Death becomes a mere setback as players compete for fame and glory,” explains SOE. Six maps – known as ‘Synth-Arenas’ – will be available at launch based in oil rigs, jungles and abandoned shanty towns. The game’s key features are below:
- FPS Meets Free-To-Play - Free for download for the PC. Additional content is available for purchase in the in-game marketplace.
- Reality TV Game Show Storyline - Players will have to fight for stardom or settle for 15 minutes of fame. Cameras and commentators capture all the intense FPS action, where style and showmanship earn “Heat” and fame on the road to stardom.
- Eight Kill Skills - Unique abilities can be trained and unleashed during combat. Each brings in cutting-edge technology for players to use in their match and are unlocked as contestants earn Heat. These include damage heals, berserker mode, enemy-trapping robots, aerial ammo attacks, devastating mini-gun action, and more.
- Active Reload - Bullet Run moves fast, and your guns need to load even faster. The game offers an Active Reload feature. When you hit ‘reload,’ a circular interface appears. If you hit it just right, your weapon loads much faster. But be precise; if you don’t hit the mark, your gun will jam.
- Six Killer Arenas - A thrilling assortment of game maps for players to explore and dominate including industrial landscapes, tropical islands, desert wastelands, and more.
- Fast-Paced Multiplayer Combat - Up to 20 contestants can battle on each episode in one of two game modes: Team Deathmatch or Dominion.
- Character Stylization - Players have access to hundreds of ‘vanity’ items to customize their characters and style, earning boosts and experience points in the in-game Style system.
- Weapon of Choice - Thousands of potential combinations per weapon from silencers and muzzle brakes to scopes, stocks and more allow players to fine-tune their weapon to match their gameplay preferences. Additionally, weapons decals and paint jobs will provide players true personalization.
- Bring on the Heat - In-game progression is rewarded through exciting play; the more Heat, the more fans. The more fans, the more players level up their Fame. Taunt, slay, and humiliate opponents, increasing Heat and unlocking new skills and weapons.
- Character Progression - Gain access to unique items and weapons as your character advances to new levels of fame (experience); you can also earn in-game currency to help improve and learn new skills.
- Killing Community - Add friends, join them in matches, and chat privately via the ComCenter.
- Additional Features - Nemesis System to identify the contestant constantly blocking your path to stardom; Taunt System with custom animations to help pump up the crowd; Quickplay option; Reload minigame, and more.
“We are excited to bring players what we think will be the best FPS experience in the PC free-to-play market,” said Andre Herbst, founding partner and marketing director of developer ACONY. “We designed Bullet Run with the same quality and attention to detail as a AAA retail product but focused on making it a great game experience for a full range of players regardless of their skill level.”
“We believe the sexier, media-driven storyline sets it apart from other FPS games and will continue to attract new players who might be tired of the same military shooters,” added Frank Trigub another founding partner.
The game appears to have everything you could want from a first person shooter – plenty of maps, a ton of customization and points for humiliating your opponents. Based on SOE’s previous free-to-play titles we expect big things from this. We especially like the idea of fame being a currency and collecting fans by doing crazy stunts, it almost makes the whole setting seem real. A lot of people are going to get very excited about this. More details are set to be revealed at E3 next month.
What do you think? Will the setting work?
Today's Top 10 Stories
Top Partner Stories
Website Interface © 2012 EGM Digital Media, LLC.