Sonic Forces is giving fans the power to create their own custom hero.
In addition to classic Sonic and modern Sonic as playable characters, Sega announced players will have the ability to customize their own character to use in the Sonic Forces‘s mix of 3D and 2D stages.
The customization options begin with seven different animal types, each with its own unique ability:
- Bear: Blows away enemies with a homing attack
- Bird: Flies high with double jump abilities
- Cat: Keeps one ring after being hit
- Dog: Restarts with five rings after the player dies
- Rabbit: Has longer invincibility time after receiving damage
- Wolf: Automatically draws in rings when near them
- Hedgehog: Collects rings when getting damaged
Each customized character will use a grappling hook for the platforming portions of the game, but the hundreds of accessory, costume, and weapon options will make every creation different. As for the story, Polygon reports the player-designed hero will be featured in cutscenes and play an integral part in the quest to defeat Eggman.
The feature’s reveal trailer, which you can watch below, features a red wolf hero fitted with thick-rimmed glasses and a sweet flamethrower as an extra gadget. We even get a glimpse at the customization screen, which shows off various hat, glove, shoe, shirt, and glasses options to choose from. Art of fan-original characters for the franchise have circulated online for years, which could be why Sega is finally giving the option to players. Or maybe it’s just to stop the creepier art from popping up.
Sonic Forces is set to release this holiday season for PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PC.