BioWare and EA have announced Star Wars: The Old Republic‘s second digital expansion titled Galactic Starfighter, which will add 12 vs. 12 space PvP to the game.
“Experience epic Player-vs-Player (PvP) dogfighting in the new Free-to-Play Digital Expansion, Galactic Starfighter,” the developer wrote. “Join 12v12 free flight combat action and jump into fierce factional battles as the war between the Sith Empire and the Galactic Republic explodes into space. Compete and advance to earn ground game rewards plus new weapons, powers and abilities to customize your ultimate Starfighter!”
The expansion will add 12 vs. 12 free flight space combat to the game using customizable ships, and is completely free. There will also be several battle zones and gameplay modes for players to test their skills in. BioWare has announced that subscribers will receive early access to the free expansion starting December 3, preferred players can access it from January 14, 2014, and finally free-to-play players can access the expansion from February 4, 2014.
Subscribers will receive several bonuses on December 3, however one of them requires players to be subscribed on November 1:
- Early Access Starting December 3
- Exclusive Gunship “Daring” Paint Jobs with Early Gunship Role UnlockOnly available to Subscribers who were also Subscribers on November 1, 2013
- Strike Fighter “Valiant” Paint Jobs
- Scout “Valiant” Paint Jobs
- Imperial Battle Ace and Republic Squadron Commander Pilot Suits
- In-Game Titles: “First Galactic Starfighter” and “Test Pilot”
- Maximum leveling and progression
It appears that free-to-play players will be restricted on how far they can progress in Galactic Starfighter, presumably the top levels will be locked behind a pay wall. You can check out a debut trailer below.