Six new updates are headed to Super Mario Maker today, hard on the heels of their announcement at the latest Nintendo Direct. The updates introduce new items, keys, and even an entirely new difficulty mode.
Nintendo’s already detailed all of the updates in the video above, but here’s a quick recap:
- Players can now shake a Thwomp to turn it into a Skewer. Simple enough.
- Shake a P Switch to turn it into a Key, and shake a Door to turn it into a Key Door. Keys can be hidden around levels in blocks or attached to enemies, and Mario can hold up to eight keys at once.
- Shake a Coin to turn it into a Pink Coin. Collecting Pink Coins rewards Mario with a Key, and up to five Pink Coins can be placed in a level.
- Super Expert Mode now awaits players who’ve cleared Expert Mode, featuring dozens of new, even more difficult courses to clear and 12 new Mystery Mushroom costumes.
- Level creators can view the failure points and Miiverse comments on their levels on the User Info page.
- The Super Mario Maker bookmark site now has an option to sort levels by their all-time best World Record clear times.
All six updates are free, and should download automatically.