Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is now available, but before players jump into battle, there’s already a patch they’ll need to download.
Nintendo previously announced that a day one patch would be arriving alongside Ultimate‘s launch, and now players can install it to receive a few extra features. The main draw will be access to the game’s online system for quickplay, battle arena, background matchmaking, and more.
On the single-player side of things, a Hard mode will be added to the World of Light campaign. Before the update, only an Easy or Normal setting were available. Players choose their difficulty when making a new save, but the setting can be changed at any time in the story. For a full list of the changes, check out the patch notes below.
Version 1.1.0 Notes
- Added a Hard difficulty to Adventure mode
- Online now includes Quickplay, Battle Arenas, Spectate, and Background Matchmaking
- Global Smash Power will now be displayed
- Note that the above requires a Nintendo Switch Online membership
Game Data Adjustments
- The ability to receive spirit event data has been added
- The ability to receive presents has been added
- The special bonus for the Fighter Pass, Xenoblade Chronicle 2‘s Rex’s Mii Fighter costume (Swordfighter type) has been added
- Game balance adjustments
- Various gameplay fixes
Players that purchase the Fighter Pass will now also have access to its first perk, which is the Xenoblade Chronicle 2 Mii Fighter costume. Five more characters will also be added down the line through the Fighter Pass, including Persona 5‘s Joker, who was revealed to be the first DLC fighter during The Game Awards. Before he arrives, though, even players without the season pass will get the bonus fighter, Piranha Plant, by registering their game on My Nintendo Rewards.
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate is available for Nintendo Switch.
Source: Nintendo of America support