Sony CEO Andrew House took to the stage at the Tokyo Game Show today to reveal a new PS3 Slim unit that’s much smaller than the previous version. While the price is the same, the dimensions have all changed.
House claimed that the new PlayStation 3 Slim was half the size and weight of the original, although he didn’t confirm what new parts inside the device made it possible. Here’s the quick breakdown of the units:
- Two models — “Black” and “White”
- Available in 250GB and 500GB configurations
- Black model hits store shelves on October 4th
- White model hits store shelves on November 22th
- Price: 500 GB = ¥29,980 (299 Euros; $390) / 250GB = ¥24,980 (229 Euros; $300)
is assumed to be a worldwide launch date will be the Japanese release date for the black model, while North America is getting a special Uncharted 3: Game of the Year bundle for September 25th.
Hey, that’s next week!
Most PlayStation 3 models have had staggered release windows. Japan got first dibs on November 11th, 2006 for the original PS3 back in the day—North America and China had to wait a week, and Europe waited for months.