The Game Critics Awards have named its best games of E3 2018, and the best of the best was apparently a remake.
Resident Evil 2 has taken home Best of Show in the 2018 Game Critics Awards, beating out Anthem, Marvel’s Spider-Man, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.
To be fair, “remake” is a pretty reductive way to describe the new Resident Evil 2. It might follow the plot of the original Resident Evil 2, trimming the fat along the way, but it looks to be a completely different game, having been built from the ground up by Capcom to blend the spooky aesthetic of earlier games with the more modern gameplay that started with Resident Evil 4.
That doesn’t mean that the other Best of Show nominees went home empty handed. Anthem took home two awards for Best PC Game and Best Action Game, Spider-Man was awarded Best Console Game and Best Action/Adventure Game, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate was named Best Fighting Game. Unfortunately for the From Software faithful, Hidetaka Miyazaki’s new title, Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, came away empty handed, despite having the second-most nominations at four.
Other highlights include the long-awaited Kingdom Hearts III, which was finally playable at E3 2018, taking home Best RPG and Media Molecule’s enticing Dreams winning Best Original Game. Forza Horizon 4 won for Best Racing Game, though it didn’t have the stiffest competition this year.
The other stars of E3 2018—namely, Cyberpunk 2077 and The Last of Us Part II—were also recognized for their achievements, despite not offering playable demos at the show. Cyberpunk 2077, The Last of Us Part II, and Ghosts of Tsushima won Special Commendations for Graphics, while Last of Us won a Special Commendation for Sound and Cyberpunk won a Special Commendation for Innovation.
Here is the complete list of the winners:
- Best of Show: Resident Evil 2
- Best Original Game: Dreams
- Best Console Game: Marvel’s Spider-Man
- Best VR/AR Game: Tetris Effect
- Best PC Game: Anthem
- Best Hardware/Peripheral: Xbox Adaptive Controller
- Best Action Game: Anthem
- Best Action/Adventure Game: Marvel’s Spider-Man
- Best RPG: Kingdom Hearts III
- Best Fighting Game: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
- Best Racing Game: Forza Horizon 4
- Best Sports Game: FIFA 19
- Best Strategy Game: Total War: Three Kingdoms
- Best Family/Social Game: Overcooked 2
- Best Online Multiplayer: Battlefield V
- Best Independent Game: Ori and the Will of Wisps
- Best Ongoing Game: Fortnite
Source: Game Critics Awards