Trion Worlds has added “experimental” support for the Oculus Rift virtual reality headset in its MMO RIFT.
Oculus Rift support is currently available on the game’s PTS client, with plans to add it to the live game with this week’s Hotfix patch. In a post on the game’s official forums, Trion explained that this support is only experimental, and that it “reserves the right to disable or remove it at any time.”
With it being experiemental, there of course some issues. For instance, framerate is currently half of what it would normally be when using the headset, and UI support is “very minimal.”
To use your headset with the game, follow these instructions:
- Make sure your Oculus headset is configured in Extend Desktop mode, not Direct mode.
- Start Rift normally and login to the game.
- Adjust your Rift game window to be the same resolution as your Oculus headset. (1920 x 1080 for the DK2, 1280 x 800 for the DK1)
- Activate Oculus mode with the following slash command: /oculus 1
- Position your Rift window so that it is on extended desktop of the Oculus device.