In a post on the Steam Universe group page, Valve detailed the hardware specifications for their 300 Steam Machine prototypes.
According to Valve, the prototype machine is “a high-end, high-performance box, built out of off-the-shelf PC parts.” The 300 prototypes will vary only slightly, with one of three GPU selections and one of three CPU selections
- GPU: some units with NVidia Titan, some GTX780, some GTX760, and some GTX660
- CPU: some boxes with Intel Core i7-4770, some Core i5-4570, and some Core i3
- RAM: 16GB DDR3-1600 (CPU), 3GB DDR5 (GPU)
- Storage: 1TB/8GB Hybrid SSHD
- Power Supply: Internal 450w 80Plus Gold
- Dimensions: approximately 12×12.4×2.9
As for the look of the prototype? “We aren’t quite ready to post a picture of our prototype—just because they’re not finished enough,” Valve’s Greg Coomer wrote in the post. “Before they ship we’ll let you know what the prototype looks like.” Dimensionally, however, it shakes out to be slightly larger than a PlayStation 3 Slim, which is 11.42×2.56×11.42 inches.