Posted on December 9, 2011 AT 08:46am
The major complaint regarding the new look dashboard is the slightly obtrusive adverts that appear while navigating. Users over on Reddit have gone straight to the source and blocked the service that Microsoft use to send the adverts to consoles. If you wish to use this method you can by following these instructions:
- Sign up for a free OpenDNS account.
- Add a network for your current IP address.
- Go to Advanced Settings and next to ‘Domain Typos’, check the box ‘Enable typo correction’ if it’s not already checked and apply.
- Go to Web Content Filtering settings and set the filtering level to ‘None’, and under ‘Manage individual domains’, put rad.msn.com and select ‘Always block’ and then click ‘Add domain’. Screenshot.
- On your Xbox, go to System Settings -> Network Settings -> (your connection) -> Configure Network -> DNS settings -> Manual, and enter the OpenDNS IP addresses for the primary and secondary DNS servers: 188.8.131.52 and 184.108.40.206.
- You may need to clear your hard drive cache before ads disappear entirely: System Settings -> Storage -> Hard Drive -> press Y -> Clear System Cache (note that you’ll have to re-download any title updates for any games you play after doing this).
EGM’s TAKE: Use this method at your own risk as it is unknown what repercussions there will be, such as data loss or damage to your online gaming settings.
What do you think of the adverts? Leave your thoughts below.
Today's Top 10 Stories
Top Partner Stories
Website Interface © 2012 EGM Digital Media, LLC.