In order for Microsoft’s new stereo headset adapter to work the Xbox One controller must be updated as well as the console, Microsoft has said.
“The Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter is used to connect chat or stereo headsets to your controller, such as the Xbox One Stereo Headset or third-party gaming headsets. The adapter is included with the Xbox Stereo Headset and is also sold separately to support third-party or “legacy” headsets,” Microsoft explained.
“To use the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter with your Xbox One Console, you’ll need to update your Xbox One Controller with the latest software to support the Adapter.”
To update your controller simply follow the steps below:
- Make sure your console is on and you’re signed in and connected to Xbox Live.
- Plug the Stereo Headset Adapter into the bottom of your controller.
- Plug in a headset (a headset must be plugged in so the adapter will turn on).
- Plug the big end of the included USB cable into the port on the side of the console.
- Instructions to install the update should automatically be displayed. Follow the instructions, and don’t disconnect the USB cable while the update is in progress. (The process can take up to 3 minutes.)