A lot of great games released in 2017, and that means that we also got a lot of great material surrounding those games. In the lead-up to each game’s release, we saw developer updates, screenshots, concept art, and, most importantly, trailers.
As part of YouTube’s end-of-the-year roundup, the streaming site has released a list of the most popular video game trailers that released in 2017. While some of the most popular games could be expected, there are a few surprising entries on the list—including the number one most popular trailer of the year.
Topping the list is, of all things, a trailer for Clash of Clans, a game that released in 2012. The trailer brings a little something extra to the stage, though. The Clash of Clans: Hog Rider 360° video can, as the title says, be watched in full 360 degrees. The trailer is set in a first-person perspective, and, if you’re watching on a smartphone or similar device, you can move it to look around within the trailer as if moving your head (or, if you’re watching on a computer, just click and drag).
A few other mobile game appeared on the top 10 list, with Despicable Me: Minion Rush claiming third place and the PES 2017 Mobile launch trailer squeaking in at tenth. Most of the other games on the list, however, are a little more traditional. The Call of Duty: WWII reveal trailer was the second most popular game trailer of the year, and Star Wars Battlefront II, Destiny 2, Halo Wars 2, and GTA Online all also placed highly. Even Minecraft got a spot, thanks to the Better Together update.
Here’s the full list, as revealed by YouTube. Have fun watching!
- Clash of Clans: Hog Rider 360° (58 million views)
- Official Call of Duty®: WWII Reveal Trailer (21.8 million views)
- Despicable Me: Minion Rush – Google Play Trailer (18.4 million views)
- Star Wars Battlefront 2: Official Gameplay Trailer (14.2 million views)
- Destiny 2 – “Rally the Troops” Worldwide Reveal Trailer(12.9 million views)
- Minecraft: Better Together Update is now live! Togetherness ACTIVATED! (11.8 million views)
- Halo Wars 2 War of Wits: The Sale (11.3 million views)
- GTA Online: Smuggler’s Run Trailer (10.8 million views)
- The Avengers Project Announcement Trailer (8.7 million views)
- PES 2017 Mobile Launch Trailer (8.6 million views)