The NPD reports for the month of August have been officially released, with Madden NFL 16 leading the software charge.
As reported by GamesBeat, physical games and hardware generated a total of $548 million across all of last month, representing a 2% decrease from the same month last year. Hardware sales were also down 2%, at $190.5 million compared to last year’s $195.3 million.
Taken alone, games racked up over $207.9 million for the month, a decrease of 10% from last year’s $231.3 million. Though this month did bring Gears of War: Ultimate Edition, Until Dawn, and Rare Replay, the August 2014 launch of Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition and The Last of Us Remastered proved a more potent combination.
Here are the top ten best-selling games for the month, with the platforms listings ordered from best- to worst-selling:
- Madden NFL 16 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3)
- Minecraft (360, PS3, Xbox One, PS4)
- Gears of War: Ultimate Edition (Xbox One)
- Grand Theft Auto V (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
- Lego: Jurassic World (360, 3DS, Wii U, PS3, Xbox One, PS4, Vita)
- Rare Replay (Xbox One)
- Until Dawn (PS4)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops Combo Pack (360, PS3)
- Batman: Arkham Knight (PS4, Xbox One)
- Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
On the hardware front, the PlayStation 4 once again came out on top, while Microsoft boasted that their second-place Xbox One sales were up 26% over the same period last year. No console manufacturer chose to divulge sales numbers.
Games and hardware comprised in NPD reports are new, physical versions sold from stores in the U.S. No digital content, used games, or mobile games are included in these listings.