Facepunch Studios has released a new update for its open-world survival game, Rust, which removes zombies from the game completely, improves wildlife, and adds new models for wood and stone.
The developer confirmed at launch that zombies were never supposed to be a permanent feature in Rust, and it has now decided to rip the band aid off by removing them. They have been replaced with red bears and wolves, but these are just a temporary replacement, according to the developer.
The full patch notes are below:
Zombies Were Removed
- Yep. We did it. We decided we couldn’t hold off any longer. The longer we keep zombies in – the more complaints we’d get about removing them. We are forcing ourselves to deal with it. We are no longer a zombie survival game! They’ve been replaced with red bears and wolves. You hate them. We know. They’re just plugging a gap for now. All will be revvvealed.
Wildlife Was Improved
- No longer exploitable by walking backwards
- Fears hostile wildlife
- Reacts to gunshots
- Hostile wildlife retreats if it cannot find a path to you
- Wildlife should not jump up and switch to random angles anymore
- Removed white wolf
- Resource Objects Were Improved
Added new models for wood & stone resources
- Wood & stone resources change model to indicate their quantity
- Added another stone resource – contains mostly stone
- Fixed bugs with the level (such as rocks intersecting buildings)
- The ‘oil tank’ area has been modified with cover
- Workbenches make you craft faster when standing next to them
- Added new player animations
- Improved melee attack animations
- Added locked backpacks and lockpicks test ( off by default )
- When you die your backpack is locked for everyone else but you for a time
- Someone else can use a lockpick tool to bypass this time
- Lockpick tools are a default blueprint
- You can’t use lockpicks on doors
- Te amount of time the backpack is locked for is per-server and can be set with the command player.backpackLockTime seconds
can be turned off by setting player.backpackLockTime to 0
- Fotstep sounds will never play the same sound as the one previously played
- Gass textures have been improved
- There are a small number of areas with what seems like invisible walls
- There are one or two rocks without collision
- There used to be about 200 wolves in one area of the map, we fixed it, though.