Trion Worlds has announced plans to improve RIFT’s optional subscription, known as Patron.
Following a hotfix on February 10th, Patron members will be able to enjoy the following new bonuses:
- Immunity to Soul Vitality Loss – The feature daredevils everywhere have been waiting for! The ability to take even more risks without losing a single ounce of vitality!
- 50% reduced Auction House fees and commissions – Sell your hard-earned items and harvestables on the Auction House, for more profit than ever before!
The developer will also make the following perks exclusive to Patron:
- Stacking charges for Dungeons, Warfonts, and Instant Adventures
- Accumulating rest experience
- Queuing for specific Warfronts and Dungeons
However, members of the community have not responded well to these changes, claiming that Trion is trying to force players to subscribe.
“We wanted to go into more depth on the change in balance between benefits for Patrons and Free Players, to give you more insight into the reasoning behind these changes,” Trion wrote on the official forums. “In addition to enhancing Patron status, these changes are designed to enhance the development revenues of the game as a whole, supporting the game we all love. We are fully committed to the long-term health of RIFT, and exploring options such as these that will keep Telara evolving over time.
“The changes outlined today may also provide an additional benefit; we anticipate that they create more opportunities for playing together for all players. For instance, instead of spending all their charges on a single day of the week, a non-Patron will need to log in each day to get the benefits of their charges. This increases the average number of people participating in any given activity every day of the week, meaning shorter queue times and more people to play with. Similarly, by placing more people in random queues, queue times as a whole will shorten as the system has more players to work with in order to make appropriate teams.”
Remember, free players can become Patrons for free by spending in-game currency on REX, which can be used to purchase Patron status instead of real money.